Joppa Lodge #112 takes its name from Jaffa, port city of Tel Aviv.
May 13, 1926
The Regular Communication of Joppa Lodge was held in the Masonic Hall, White Rock.
A letter from Very Worshipful Brother Worshipful A. DeWolf-Smith, Grand Secretary asking that the books and dispensation be sent to him, so as to be presented to the Grand Lodge was read and the Secretary instructed to attend to this matter.
A Further letter from the Grand Secretary stating that it was the intention of the Most Worshipful the Grand Master, Most Worshipful Brother A. M. Manson to pay a visit to a joint meeting of Eureka Lodge No. 103, Ancient Light Lodge No. 88 and Joppa Lodge U.D. to be held in White Rock, B.C. on the evening of May 14th, 1926 and the members were asked to attend, if possible.
The Secretary was instructed to advise Grand Lodge how many members would be attending this meeting. Brother Thomas Henderson passed an examination in the Fellow Craft Degree. It was moved by Brother O. R. Merklin and seconded by Brother Worshipful J. Moffatt that Worshipful Brother J. J. Mahony represent Joppa Lodge at the Grand Lodge Meeting in June.
May 14, 1926
The Emergent Communication of Joppa Lodge held on May 14th, 1926 was a joint meeting of Eureka Lodge No. 103, Ancient Light Lodge No. 88 and Joppa Lodge U.D. The Most Worshipful, the Grand Master Hon. A. Worshipful Manson was received and introduced. Later Brother Thomas Henderson Douglas being duly prepared was raised to the sublime Degree of Master Mason.
The Most Worshipful, the Grand Master Hon. A. M. Manson in his address complimented the Lodge on the work and in a most interesting manner spoke of the tenets of Freemasonry and the part it was playing throughout the nations of the world. He stated: "Masonry was something every man should carry with him beyond the door of the Lodge, owing to the important part it had in moulding the characters of it's members." He also gave a very instructive outline of the Benevolent Fund and expressed the desire to see this Lodge with a paid membership of 100%.
May 27, 1926
The Emergent Communication of May 27th was held in the Joppa Masonic Hall. Bros. F. A. Pollock and G. A. Frederick after duly being examined in the Fellow Craft Degree were individually raised to the sublime Degree of Master Mason. The officers and members of Perfection Lodge No. 75 Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, New Westminster paid an official visit and participated in conferring the Master Mason Degree, as well as other work during the night.
June 23, 1926 - Institution and Consecration
Wednesday, June 23, 1926 was an auspicious occasion as it marked the Installation of the Officers and the Institution and Consecration of Joppa Lodge No. 112 Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons by order of the Grand Master - in the Masonic Lodge Hall, White Rock, B.C. At 7:45 p.m. the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Most Worshipful Brother D. Worshipful Sutherland and other Grand Lodge Officers accompanied by members of Grand Lodge assembled in the Lodge room and opened Grand Lodge.
The Brethren of Joppa Lodge assembled in the anteroom. The Grand Master then requested the Worshipful Master J. J. Mahony, Sr. Warden Worshipful Brother J. D. MacMillan and Junior Warden Brother A. J. Smith to enter Grand Lodge and lay their request before the Most Worshipful Grand Master to Institute, Consecrate and Install the Officers of Joppa Lodge.
The Institution and Consecration ceremony was performed by the Most Worshipful Grand Master and the Installation Ceremony was then taken charge of by Right Worshipful Brother Frank S. McKee and assisted by other Grand Lodge Officers, when the following Officers were installed: Worshipful Master Brother J.J. Mahony, Senior Warden Worshipful Brother Junior Deacon MacMillan, Junior Warden Brother A.J. Smith, Treasurer Brother P. Elsey, Secretary Brother G.S. Graves, Chaplain Brother L.J. Burton, Director of Ceremonies Brother W.S. Huff, Senior Deacon Brother O.R. Merklin, Junior Deacon Brother F. Hugh, Inner Guard Brother J.V. Beldam, Stewards Brother W.J. Moffatt & Brother T. Alston, Tyler Brother G. Coulson, and Organist Brother L.A. Shepherd.
After Installation the Most Worshipful Grand Master handed over the gavel to the Worshipful Master J.J. Mahony, who asked the Most Worshipful Grand Master to address the Lodge. The Most Worshipful Grand Master then gave an eloquent and detailed presentation. He congratulated the Lodge on their excellent start and the wonderful showing made toward the Grand Lodge Benevolent Fund, he also wished the Lodge every success in the future.
The Most Worshipful Grand Master accompanied by the other Grand Lodge Officers then retired in due form with Grand Honours. The Lodge was closed in due and ancient form at 10:15 p.m. Peace and Harmony prevailing.
Summary of the Institution and Consecration
This must have been a moment of great pride in accomplishment, for the founding members of Joppa Lodge, to see their dream come true - Joppa Lodge being constituted by the Most Worshipful Grand Master on this momentous occasion in history.
This chapter, the first year in Joppa Lodge's history had resulted in the ultimate fait accompli - the Warrant of Constitution being granted and finally the Installation of the Officer's in their respective positions.
Henceforth, Joppa Lodge would appear on the registry of the Grand Lodge of British Columbia, and numbered 112. It was so named after the chief port of Jerusalem on the Mediterranean Sea. It was from here that Jonah set out for Tarshish and that Saint Peter restored life to Tabitha. Joppa Lodge adopted the American work for its ritual.
This marked the end of the beginning, but prospects for the future were bright and never looked better.
"Ever onward and upward..." Now the Lodge was ready for the next step on it's Masonic flight-path.
July 8, 1926
The new era began July 8th, 1926 with the first Regular Communication of Joppa Lodge No. 112, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons This was the first Regular Communication of the Lodge since Institution and Consecration, by the Most Worshipful Grand Master and other Grand Lodge Officers.
The Grand Secretary made a request for two copies of the proposed Bylaws of the Lodge.
During the meeting, under the heading "Good of the Order", the Secretary was asked to secure prices for the purchase of regalia and report at the next meeting.
Brother O. R. Merklin gave notice of motion, that at the next regular meeting, re would move the adoption of the Bylaws. Thus ended this historic meeting at 10:15 Peace and Harmony prevailing.
August 12, 1926
August 12th saw the next Regular Communication of Joppa Lodge in White Rock. The designated committee reported, after considering the two submissions, it had been decided the regalia would be ordered from Messrs. Men's Cap Co. Ltd. The Secretary was advised to inform this company that the new regalia was required by September 20th, 1926.
An Application for Initiation was received from Mr. Gilbert Tulloch who wished to become a member of Joppa Lodge. The corrected copy of the new Bylaws was moved to be adopted by Brother O. R. Merklin, seconded by Brother A. J. Smith and the motion was carried.
Brother F. J. Castle, of Vancouver gave an interesting talk on the benefits derived from the study of Masonry. Brother T. Alston conveyed greetings from Perfection Lodge No. 75; New Westminster and the Brethren were invited to attend the Installation of Officers of that Lodge on August 19th. Lodge closed in due and ancient form at 9:00 p.m.
September 9, 1926
The next Regular Communication of Joppa Lodge was held September 9th, in White Rock.
During the course of the meeting the following Brethren were examined in the Master Mason Degree and passed in very satisfactory fashion - Brother's F. A. Pollock, R. J. Esplin, R. E. Steer, T. H. Douglas, J. Worshipful Whittaker, G. A. Frederick and A. Worshipful Saunders. The following members were elected to fill the officer's chairs for the forthcoming year:
Worshipful Brother Junior Deacon MacWilliams, Worshipful Master Brother A.J. Smith, Senior Warden Brother O.R. Merklin, Junior Warden Brother P. Elsey, Treasurer Brother G.S. Graves, Secretary Brother L.J. Burton.
Also, the following Brethren were elected as Trustees: Brother O.R. Merklin (3 years), Brother A.J. Smith (2 years), Brother F. Hugh (1 year), The Worshipful Master appointed Brother's L. A. Shepherd and H. Lee as auditors.
September 30, 1926
The evening of September 30th saw the Installation of Officers in Joppa Lodge, White Rock Worshipful Brother J. J. Mahony, the Installing Master, had the Secretary read the portion of the previous meeting regarding the election of officers. Then he proceeded to the business of the Installation of the Officers.
Worshipful Brother J. D. MacMillan, Worshipful Master Worshipful Brother J. J. Mahony, Installing Past Master Brother A. J. Smith, Right Worshipful Brother G. L. Cassidy, District Deputy Grand Master, District No. 2 paying a fraternal visit was introduced into the Lodge. Then the remainder of the Officers were installed. Brother O. R. Merklin, J.; Worshipful Brother P. Elsey, Treasurer; Brother G. S. Graves, Secretary; Brother Worshipful S. Huff, Chaplain; Brother F. Hugh, Senior Deacon; Brother J. V. Beldham, Junior Deacon; Brother Worshipful J. Moffatt, Inner Guard; Brother L. A. Shepherd, Organist; Brother J. C. Cornish, Director of Ceremonies; Brother L. J. Burton Tyler.
Worshipful Brother J. D. MacMillan presented the Lodge with a new Bible and was himself the first to take the Obligation on it. With that the evening closed in Peace and Harmony.
October 14, 1926
The new slate of officers began their year with the October 14, 1926 Communication, held in the Masonic Hall, White Rock.
An invitation from Ancient Light Lodge to attend their Installation of Officers was received and the members were urged to attend.
Very Worshipful Brother Junior Deacon MacMillan, Brother Worshipful J. Moffatt and Bro, R.C. Thompson gave very interesting talks on the necessity of the Brethren working in harmony and taking an active interest in the lodge - explaining that Brethren should endeavour to assist the officers in every way and if they had remarks to make, to do so in the Lodge Room and not outside.
The Worshipful Master appointed Brother R.C. Thompson to fill the chair of Junior Steward made vacant because Brother H. Clarke has moved away.
After refreshment, labour was resumed in the Entered Apprentice Degree and Mr. Gilbert Tulloch duly prepared was admitted and instructed in the work of the Degree.
A vote of thanks was moved by Brother A.J. Smith seconded by Brother O.R. Merklin be extended to Very Worshipful Brother Junior Deacon MacMillan for the Bible he donated to the Lodge. Lodge closed in Peace and Harmony at 9:50 p.m.
November 11, 1926
November 11th, 1926 marked the next Regular Communication of Joppa Lodge No. 112. Reverend Robert Hughes, Pastor of the United Church invited the Lodge to visit the church; it was planned for the afternoon of the fourth Sunday in November.
King Solomon Lodge No. 17 extended an Invitation for a fraternal visit on the evening of November 16th, which was accepted.
Applications for affiliation were received from Brother Joseph Byatt and Brother Rupert Stanley Harris with committees being appointed accordingly.
When the Lodge was declared at labour in the Entered Apprentice Degree Brother Tulloch, duly prepared, was admitted and examined in the work of the Degree. After which he retired returning duly prepared when the Lodge was at labour in the Fellow Craft Degree and he was instructed in the work of the Degree. After the Lodge was at labour in the Master Mason Degree, Brother O.R. Merklin moved and Brother Worshipful J. Barge seconded a motion that Worshipful Brother's J.J. Mahony and Andrew MacDonald be made Honorary Members with full privileges. The Lodge then closed in Peace and Harmony.
December 5, 1926
The Emergent Meeting of December 5th, 1926 was held at 2:45 p.m. for the purpose of Divine Service at the Union Church.
Lodge was declared at refreshment at 2:45 p.m. and the assembled Brethren marched to the church where a masterful sermon was delivered by Reverend Robert Hughes.
After the Brethren returned to the Lodge Room. At 4:15, speeches were made by the Worshipful Brother's Morse and Mahony.
Lodge was closed in due and ancient form at 4:30 p.m. Peace and Harmony prevailing.\
December 9, 1926
December 9th marked the last Regular Communication for the year 1926, at Joppa Lodge No. 112.
When the Lodge was declared at labour in the Fellow Craft Degree, Brother G. Tulloch was examined in the work of the Degree. Later he was admitted duly prepared and raised to the Sublime Degree of a Master Mason.
Applications for membership in the Lodge by Initiation were received from Mr. L.E. Carlisle and Mr. M Lawrence and ordered to take the usual course.
Following the conclusion of the rest of the business, the Lodge was closed at 11:05 p.m. in Peace and Harmony.
Summary of Joppa Lodge 1926
In retrospect, the Brethren of Joppa Lodge could look back on the year 1926, as the year when Joppa Lodge really came of age. One has to feel these Brethren must have experienced a great sense of satisfaction "In a job well done " after all the dreams of the founders had become reality, due to their hard work. Their successor in the future would have a memory of their achievements.
Obviously, there were still challenges to be met. However, no one could deny that Joppa Lodge No. 112 had come a long way already and that something of a tradition had been established - for those that were to follow.
Customs and precedence had been created for those who were to follow in their footsteps.
With these thoughts in mind we move to the next phase in the story of Joppa Lodge No. 112
As an aid to clarity and brevity, from this point on, the purpose is to document the highlights and items of interest for the reader. Where appropriate, more detailed data will be provided for the benefit of all who may read these writings.